back to top
27.1 C
Abuja
Thursday, February 19, 2026
Google search engine
HomeUncategorizedCDS Launches Operation SAVANNAH SHIELD, Warns Terrorists as Abdulrahman Abdulrazaq Pledges Support

CDS Launches Operation SAVANNAH SHIELD, Warns Terrorists as Abdulrahman Abdulrazaq Pledges Support

The Chief of Defence Staff (CDS), General Olufemi Oluyede, has formally launched Joint Task Force North Central Operation SAVANNAH SHIELD (OPSS) in Ilorin, Kwara State, with a strong warning to terrorists and criminal groups operating in the region.

The operation was operationalised on Thursday at the 22 Brigade, Sobi Military Cantonment, and is aimed at dismantling terrorist networks, kidnapping syndicates and other criminal elements threatening parts of Kwara and neighbouring Niger State.

Speaking at the flag-off ceremony, General Oluyede described Operation SAVANNAH SHIELD as a deliberate and well-coordinated offensive, not a routine military deployment. He said the Armed Forces of Nigeria are fully prepared to dominate the operational environment, consolidate previous security gains and secure critical agricultural zones across the theatre.

The CDS warned that forested enclaves and ungoverned spaces previously exploited by terrorists would no longer serve as safe havens, stressing that troops would conduct sustained clearance and stabilisation operations in vulnerable corridors.

He also emphasised enhanced inter-agency collaboration and operational synergy to achieve decisive outcomes. According to him, the Theatre Commander, Major General Yakubu Yahaya, will oversee and coordinate integrated operations within the Joint Operational Area.

General Oluyede called on traditional rulers, youth leaders and community stakeholders to provide credible and timely intelligence, noting that national security remains a collective responsibility.

In his remarks, Kwara State Governor, Mallam Abdulrahman Abdulrazaq, described the deployment as strategic and timely, particularly in response to recent security challenges in Kwara North, parts of Kwara South and adjoining communities in Niger State.
While acknowledging improvements recorded in Kwara South through sustained security efforts, the governor said intensified operations were required in Kwara North to neutralise emerging threats.

Abdulrazaq commended the CDS and expressed appreciation to President Bola Ahmed Tinubu for the swift federal intervention. He expressed confidence that the operation would restore public confidence, strengthen peace and stimulate socio-economic recovery in affected communities.

The governor also highlighted the anticipated boost to food security, noting that key agricultural belts previously disrupted by insecurity would now be secured, enabling farmers to resume full-scale production without fear.

Earlier, the Chief of Defence Operations, Major General Jamal Abdulsalam, praised the sustained collaboration among the Armed Forces and other security agencies, stressing that unified command and synergy remain critical to mission success.

The ceremony was attended by the Chief of Army Staff, Lieutenant General Waidi Shaibu, other service chiefs, heads of security agencies, senior military officers and traditional rulers, signalling a unified national resolve to combat terrorism.
The Armed Forces of Nigeria reiterated its commitment to eliminating all terrorist threats and restoring lasting peace across the North Central region.


Discover more from Inside Abuja Media

Subscribe to get the latest posts sent to your email.

RELATED ARTICLES

Leave a Reply

- Advertisment -
Google search engine

Most Popular

Recent Comments

Discover more from Inside Abuja Media

Subscribe now to keep reading and get access to the full archive.

Continue reading